I have to admit, I love bacon but I also love vegetables! So if you are a strict meat eater, a vegan or you like a bit of everything, (like me) just adjust the ingredients you want to include. I make my breakfast sandwich on Sundays and they are especially good if you are needing to soak up the extra bubbles from the night before or are needing that extra energy for your daily workout or hike. And it’s a great crowd pleaser for any overnight guests as it doesn’t take very long to prepare or cook!
What do you need to make this delicious breakfast? Here’s a list of ingredients to make your scrumptious breakfast sandwich. You will need to adjust your quantities to suit the amount of sandwiches you want to make.
1 · english muffin (or panini bread)
1 · egg
1/4 cup · spinach and rocket (arugula)
6 pieces · very thinly sliced Spanish onion
1/2 · large flat or portabello mushroom sliced thinly
1 · thinly sliced cherry tomato
1 – 2 · streaky bacon
1 · slice of vintage cheese
1 tablespoon · basil pesto (homemade or store bought)
1 teaspoon · bbq sauce
Salt & pepper
For the vego, try adding some sauteed zucchini instead of egg or bacon!
It’s time to cook. You can do this entire meal if you want using one pan or you can use several. You are aiming to add the egg last so you have a warm breakfast to serve up!
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a hot pan on medium to high.
- Place your sliced bread or english muffin on the pan and cook until golden brown, remove from heat.
- Add your bacon, cook until crispy, remove from heat.
- Throw in your mushrooms and let them soak up the oil from the bacon. If you are not cooking with bacon, add olive oil to cover mushrooms, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- On the bottom half of your toasted bread or english muffin, add a swirl of bbq sauce. Next, add your mushrooms over the bbq sauce and top the mushrooms with a slice of vintage cheese.
- Make sure the cheese melts over the mushroom. If it’s not melting you can put it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Lower the heat on your pan and crack an egg into the pan. Cook until the egg white is solid.
- While you are cooking your egg(s), place your spanish onion and tomato to your sandwich on top of the vintage cheese. Next, cut your bacon in half and place on top of your onion and tomato.
- When your egg(s) is finished, place on top of your bacon and garnish with salt and pepper.
- Now, add your spinach and rocket over the egg. This should now be a big stack!
- To finish off your delicious sandwich, spread pesto on the top part of the bread and place carefully on the top!
You are now ready to eat – enjoy!
If you are enjoying this breakfast sandwich, please let me know by liking my facebook page and adding a comment!